Steps Towards a Non-Hazardous Home

/, HHW/Steps Towards a Non-Hazardous Home

Steps Towards a Non-Hazardous Home

With the routine of our lives set in place, it’s easy to forget that commonplace household items such as antifreeze, fertilizers, and cleaning products, can be filled with toxic chemicals that need to be safely stored out of reach of children and pets. Read on to learn about how you can ensure the safety of your family with proper storage and find non-toxic versions of common household products.

Storage Tip

If you have a product that contains chemicals that are potentially hazardous, remember to:

  • keep it out of sight
  • keep it out of reach, and
  • locked up safely whenever possible

Disposal Tip

Items such as motor oil, cooking oil, cosmetics, medicine, and old household cleaners should not be put in the trash. Toxins released from these items can harm humans, animals, and plants if they encounter them buried in the ground, in runoff, in floodwaters, or in groundwater that supplies our drinking water.

When you need to get rid of items containing toxic chemicals, be sure to take them to a local Household Hazardous Waste Collection Location for proper disposal. You can find a list of collection centers and acceptable materials for disposal here on our website.

Non-Toxic Alternatives for Common Household Items

  • Use soaps, cleaners, and detergents that are phosphate-free or biodegradable (Pro tip: Vegetable based and citrus-based soaps are considered the safest products)
  • Use vinegar, water, and baking soda for cleansers ‒ this reduces odor and indoor air pollutants simultaneously
  • Buy recycled motor oil when possible
  • Switch to antifreeze made from propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol

  • Choose pesticides and fertilizers with less active toxic ingredients
  • Click here to check out products for an integrated pest management system that is less toxic


  • For a flea-repellent wash for your pets, combine lemon juice with water and lightly rub the juice onto your pets’ fur as advised by PetMD  
  • Decrease scratching and itches by rubbing a paste of oatmeal & water onto itchy areas for 10 minutes and rinse with warm water
  • For more tips on non-toxic pet care, click here

Are we missing any non-toxic alternatives that you love? Which of these tips do you already do in your home? We’d love to know how you’re keeping your homes safe and clean. Let us know in the comments!

Your local SBC Stormwater Trooper

By | 2019-08-09T11:05:15-07:00 November 14th, 2018|Blog, HHW|Comments Off on Steps Towards a Non-Hazardous Home

About the Author:


Pollution Quick Report

Quick Pollution Report

You can use this form to quickly report pollution issues. If necessary, we may contact you for more details.

If you don't want to give us your contact information, or you'd like to make a detailed report right now, you can submit the full Report Pollution Violations Form.