There are many simple actions you can take to maintain a beautiful eco-friendly garden that complements California’s natural landscape. Below you will find our favorite recommendations. Happy gardening!
Recycle Yard Waste
- Grasscycling can help promote nutrient cycling in your garden. Try leaving clippings from mowing in place!
- Do not blow, sweep, rake, or hose yard waste into the street or catch basin as they can discharge to our storm drains.
Use Pesticides, Herbicides, and Fertilizers Safely
- These toxic chemicals can be carried in the storm drain system via sprinkler runoff – try using natural or non-toxic alternatives!
- Spot apply rather than blanket an entire area.
Be Water Wise
- Control the amount of water and direction of sprinklers where they can be most effective.
- Inspect and fix leaks and realign sprinkler heads when needed.
Have any other gardening tips you’d like to share? Comment below!
Your local SBC Stormwater Trooper